Thursday, December 4, 2008

So you know that kid in the store...

Ok...it has finally happened to me. You know that kid in the store that is screaming at the top of their lungs, kicking, crying, throwing them self on the floor? Today my kid was that kid and I was that mom. So here is the story...I need to go to Wal-Mart to get ONE thing. How often does that happen. So I put the boys in the car and tell them if they are good while we run in and grab this ONE thing...I will buy them a treat. As soon as we get out of the car it starts. Heston wants to push the cart. I told him the he could help me push it, but I would not let him do it alone because he can't see over the cart and always pushes it into things. Well while he is crying over that and I am trying to reason with him Fisher wants to jump in the basket part of the cart. So I put him in it. Then Heston wants to sit where Fisher is, but doesn't want to sit with Fisher...AAHHHH! I told him that if he hadn't been busy crying over pushing the cart he could have gotten in the basket, but Fisher was there first so he would have to chose another option. He continues to throw a fit. I finally get him calmed down enough to enter the store, after about 5 minutes. So we walk into Wal-Mart. I needed to go to get some kind of Calendar or Day Planner thing. Well, to get there you walk by the candy isles. So Heston stops and stares at the plethora of treats. I continue to walk and say...Let me find what I need and then we will pick out a treat. He stays put. I turn down the stationary/school supplies isles. He follows when he can't see me anymore. As I am trying to find the ONE thing I need he is yelling at me that he JUST WANTS TO GET A TREAT! I keep trying to explain to him that he can get one as soon as I find what I need. So then he finds a stack of folders that have "Race Cars" on them. He grabs one and then ends up dropping it on the floor and kicks it. So I tell him we are leaving. I have warned him several times by now and I am getting pretty upset. Keep in mind this whole time he is whining and throwing this fit. So i grab Fisher out of the cart and I start walking to the front doors to leave. When I turn around to make sure he is following me...this is what I see. He is on his hands and knees...scooting himself across the floor...SCREAMING and BAWLING! I walk just past the detector thingies and stand and wait for my son...people are stopping to see if he is ok or lost. He continues his dragging, screaming fit. I wait. I was not going to carry the kid out of the store. Here I am 8 months pregnant. I am on the verge of tears, but I stay strong and wait. When he finally reaches me I tell him he should probably stand up before we walk into the parking lot and then I say NOTHING. He decides to walk, but still is throwing the FIT. We get to the car. I buckle him in and then Fisher. Still I say nothing. He is screaming...MOM TALK TO ME, MOM TALK TO ME, MOM, MOM, MOM! I start to drive. When I finally get to the light I break down. Now I am bawling. We get home and I get them both out of the car. I take Heston to his room and tell him he is grounded for the rest of the day...from EVERYTHING! No friends, tv, I didn't even let him go to pre-school. He loves going and I felt I had to make a point. He spent a very long time in his room. We had a few more break downs before the days end, but I had to stick to his punishment. I am not sure if I made all the right decisions with the whole situation, but I PRAY that I don't get to experience it again any time soon. Poor Fisher is still waiting for his treat.

2 comments:

Emily said...

All I can say Jules, is I fill your pain. I've been there many times. One time I think I was crying over Courtney and the other two girls looked at me like "is she nuts?" The answer is YES! I posted a story on my blog that I think will make you fill better. Love you.

Fab Five said...

I can't believe this has just barely happened to you. It happens to me almost every time I go to a store with my girls. Two girls are quite the drama. It sounds like you handled it very well though. I think you did great by sticking to it and keeping him in his room all day.