Friday, November 20, 2009

I needed this...

I got this WoNdErFuL e-mail today from my aunt! It was this quote...Simple, but something that is soooooo true. I think too often I get caught up in the whole "life" thing and when I get to the end of my rope...I forget that there is someone I can count on ALL of time. I gave a talk in church on service a few weeks ago and I know that when I am serving that I am happiest! And the blessings that come from serving are many. If we are focusing on all that is crumbling apart we will never see all that is still being held together by HIM!

"For those who are discouraged by their circumstances and are therefore tempted to feel they cannot serve the Lord this day, I make you two promises. Hard as things seem today, they will be better in the next day if you choose to serve the Lord this day with your whole heart. Your circumstances may not be improved in all the ways which you desire. But you will have been given new strength to carry your burdens and new confidence that when your burdens become too heavy, the Lord, whom you have served, will carry what you cannot. He knows how. He prepared long ago. He suffered your infirmities and your sorrows when He was in the flesh so that He would know how to succor you."
--Henry B. Eyring, "This Day", Ensign, May 2007, 89–91

3 comments:

The Belnaps said...

This also reminded me that we need to let others serve us..to give them the opportunity. My mom called tonight offering to take Maggie because two of my kids are sick. But not wanting to be a burden, i told her I was fine and that I could manage. Which is true but as i read your post, the thought came to me that maybe I was denying her a chance to serve. So thanks for this post and little lesson in giving and receiving service. Nothing is more important.

RobJulsandKids said...

That's so true too, Ashley! Thank you for sharing that:) I know what you mean by not wanting to the a burden...it's hard to let others help. That's a great way to look!

The Venutis said...

I teach RS next week on service, and I just may use that quote. Thanks.